Somehting to think about . . .

Hunger and the fear of failure . . . when you hit the wall, the only way left is up.

~Lorelei Bell

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Pulling In Your Readers

I've attended writing courses throughout my writing "career", and the basic knowledge of any novel is you have to grab the reader in the first 3-5 seconds. About the first sentence, or the very first short paragraph. If you can grab that reader in the first sentence, they'll obviously read on.

Read the first sentence of any book you've read and see if I'm right. Does it grab you? Pull you in? Makes you want to see what is going on there?

Here's a couple from my own books to consider. Does that first sentence pull you in?

From Spell of the Black Unicorn:
Chill bumps shrouded Zofia Trickenbod. She wanted to Transvect the hell out of here. But where to?

From Vampire Ascending
The full moon poured silvery light down around me as I arrived about eight minutes late for my job interview with a vampire.

From Vampire's Trill:
I woke up naked.

I think these work to pull the reader in. Read your favorite authors to see how they have done the job.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lorelei Bell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.