Somehting to think about . . .

Hunger and the fear of failure . . . when you hit the wall, the only way left is up.

~Lorelei Bell

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Turning Point





Possibly the one thing I can say when I compare my life now with ten years ago is that I'm able to say I'm published, and have two books out there, should anyone want to buy one.

I happily cashed my check from my publisher today, went to Office Max and bought print ink and a surge protector--which I've needed forever--and now I don't have to unplug things when I leave. In fact I would have to unplug my phone modem every time I left the room in fear of having a surge or something like our lights merely going out for a few seconds would do my modem in. Now, I'm safe.

I've been sending people out to buy the remaining copies of my book over at our local Borders store before they run out or close. I hate to see that store close. A lot of people liked it better, everyone I spoke to about it closing said the same thing, that it was more relaxing to sit in there, or browse.

I've also been lucky in winning books at various blogs. I won All Hallows Blood by Raven Corinn Carluk, just a few weeks ago, and just today I found out I'd won Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's An Embarrassment of Riches. Now if only I could win the Publisher's Clearing House sweepstakes, I'd be set for the rest of my life!

But really, I remember struggling with my writing. Not knowing if my writing actually sucked, or why agents were not inclined to take me on. It got to a point in my life where I didn't have time to dawdle with waiting on replies that usually wound up in the negative. My first book to see print was a gamble. Even though I knew it was good, I had no promotion behind it--being that it was a POD publisher who charged for everything I might want. And since it was mainly in a light fantasy category, I didn't really have a ready-made audience for it. I knew with Vampire Ascending, I had an audience ready and willing to buy--no matter what those people in New York say. People are still looking for another good vampire book, and I've got it. The publisher for this book has backed it and are doing a great job of promotions. I'm trying to help it by getting out there to people, either being spot lighted in various vampire blogs, or wherever I think it will do good.

So, yeah, even a year ago I was trying to find a publisher, and even tried a couple of agents, just to make sure I wasn't wrong in trying to find another POD. I wasn't. And the one ebook publisher apparently didn't want it either, so I think I made a good choice.

Now, I'd better get back to work.

No comments: